Welcome back everybody!
Mrs Woodhead and Mrs Bell are excited to see everybody back in Blue class!
Below you will find details of what we have planned for your learning this term.
Reading books - we will change these on a Tuesday but please have your books in school with you everyday as we may need them for any reading activities taking place. Please try to find time to read with your child regularly and sign in their reading diary when they have finished a book so we will know to change it.
PE - our scheduled PE days are Tuesday and Friday but as these are subject to change please bring your PE kit in on a Monday and take it home again on a Friday.
Summer term 2021
Our project question this term is 'How does your garden grow?'
Our classrooms have been themed around a traditional English country garden.
We will be focusing on......
- Story writing (retelling, planning and writing our own)
- Diary entry
- Practising ongoing SPAG skills such as punctuation, sentence structure, common exception spellings, word types, using adjectives, conjunctions and interesting sentence openers
- Number and Place value
- Addition and Subtraction
- Multiplication and Division
- Position and direction
- Problem solving
Science - Materials
- Seasonal change - with a focus on changes in temperature/weather, nature and day length. (Y1)
- Identifying and naming a variety of plants, flowers and trees (Y1)
- Naming parts of a plant and describing their functions (Y1)
- Animals - how they grow and change and their basic needs (Y2)
- Plants - naming a variety of plants, flowers and trees, what do plants need to survive, how do they grow and reproduce (Y2)
- Toys through time - the history of toys
- There will be a focus on the Geography of the local area.
- Local landmarks
- Local human and physical features
- Simple maps and keys (Y2)
- Using a compass (Y2)
- Using Google Earth/Street View (Y2)
- Looking at aerial photographs (Y2)
- Word processing
- Using the internet
- Developing our Chromebook skills
Design and Technology
- Focus on structures - design, make and evaluate a piece of playground equipment. (Y2)
- Focus on textiles (linked to Art) - design, make and evaluate a product involving sewing (Y1)
- Focus on textiles (linked to Art) - exploring and using weaving and printing to create different products. Studying the artist William Morris. (Y1)
- Focus on sculpture - studying the sculpture work of Jill Townsley, Eva Rothschild and Anish Kapoor, children to create their own clay pot (Y2)
- Focus on Pulse (Y1). Children will be exploring the pulse of different pieces of music, composing, performing and appraising music.
- Focus on Timbre (Y2). Children will be exploring timbre, composing, performing and appraising music.
- Net/wall games
- Athletics (running, jumping, throwing)
- Sending and Receiving
- Locomotion (moving in different ways)
- Y1 - Worships and festivals - exploring places of worships and celebrations
- Y2 - Questions, questions - exploring answers to religious questions such as 'How was the world created?'
Blue class is a mixed class of Year 1 and Year 2 children. Mrs Woodhead is the teacher and Mrs Bell is the Teaching Assistant. Our class page is where you will find information about our PE times, library days, book change days and any other important dates/facts you need to know! You will also be able to find out about our curriculum, topics, pictures of us learning and also what our classroom looks like throughout the year. We hope you enjoy our page and find all the information you need. Currently we have a transition booklet below that you should share before September with your child and also a video of the classroom currently (please bear in mind that the classroom will look different in September due to the current situation and also there will be a change of topic!)
We can't wait to meet you!