Design and Technology
Design and Technology is organised into 5 main strands.
- Design - children are encouraged to develop purposeful, appealing products for themselves and others based upon a given design criteria. They are encouraged to present their designs through drawings, labels, writing and where appropriate ICT.
- Making - children will have the opportunity to use a wide variety of materials, resources and ingredients and will gain experience at using different tools and equipment.
- Evaluating - children will evaluate existing products and their own made products to identify their strengths and areas for development.
- Technical knowledge - children will build structures investigating what makes them stronger, stiffer and more stable. They are also encouraged to explore and use mechanisms (levers, sliders, wheels and axles) in their products.
- Cooking and Nutrition - children will use the basic principles of a healthy and varied diet to prepare dishes and develop an understanding of where food comes from.
Throughout Year 1 children will get the chance to design, make and evaluate......
- A moving picture (using the mechanism of a lever or slider)
- A healthy food product
- A textile product (using weaving, sewing and linked to Art)
Throughout Year 2 children will get the chance to design, make and evaluate.....
- A moving vehicle (using wheels and axles)
- A food product
- A structure (e.g. bridge, piece of playground equipment, house)